As a child, my mom always told us that when we were grouchy, we were either hungry or tired. This assessment also matches my children and myself as an adult.
When we don’t get sufficient sleep*, we are more likely to suffer from the following:
- Lack of focus
- Decreased motivation
- Higher anxiety
- Shorter temper
Here is the great news: we can change our lives by improving our sleep! How do we do that? Great question! Keep reading for some ideas that you can apply into your routine.
The first part is preparing to sleep in the following ways.
- dark room to increase melatonin
- cool area (60-67 degrees)
- maintain a quiet atmosphere
- limit activities in the bedroom
- stay consistent with when you go to bed and wake up (have you heard the song about early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise?)
- unwind before bed – consider yoga, soft music, aromatherapy pillow spray
- write tomorrow’s to do list
- set out clothing
- try progressive relaxation techniques
- Limit Barriers
- avoid electronics with blue light
- avoid caffeine, even chocolate
- if you snack, eat protein
- turn your cell phone to airplane mode
If you need more assistance, essential oils are a natural, non-addictive way to aide your body to get the sleep you need for better health. My personal top three combinations for sleep are:
- Taking 1-2 Serenity softgels 30 minutes before I go to sleep with a foot massage of Serenity essential oil (focused on the area between my toes)
- Vetiver massaged on my feet, especially on my big toe, then applied to my forehead, wrists and heart with a roller bottle that I keep in my nightstand to help me return to sleep, if needed
- Diffusing Cedarwood and Bergamot next to my bed
Please comment below or find me on Facebook to share your favorite tricks to ensure you sleep well.
|4-11 months||12-15 hours|
|1-2 years||11-14 hours|
|3-5 years||10-13 hours|
|6-13 years||9-11 hours|
|14-17 years||8-10 hours|